Sunday, October 12, 2014

Elkwater update

Things are a little wet outdoors this morning. I'm feel pretty cozy in front of the heater, in my flannel pajamas with a coffee. I enjoy these quiet mornings while Ron grabs a little more shut-eye. 
 
It started to sprinkle while we were sitting at our fire last night. We had opted for the propane fire under the canopy which turned out to be a great choice. It was an enjoyable evening with wine in hand.
 
The park activity certainly picked up this weekend. We went from a handful of people scattered throughout the three main camping loops to our loop being full and a number of campers in the other two lower loops. Southern Albertans like their camping!
                                Still hanging around!
We drove to Reesor and Spruce Lakes and explored some other areas of the park that we hadn't seen before. We found some neat back country camping spots. It's an interesting area.
                                Reesor Lake in the Fall
 
                                Modern Day Cattle drive!
A rather cool thing happened yesterday. Ron started a conversation with the young fellow camped beside us. Mainly because he was dressed in Roughrider gear and obviously with SK connections. It turned out he was my cousin's son, Jason Graham. (He grew up and went to school in Gull Lake.) I had actually reached out to him when I saw his name on Twitter last spring. Our local cops were encouraged to embrace this form of social networking and many began to follow local Medicine Hat residents. When his name popped up, I asked if he was related to Sharon and Jamie as I knew they had a son Jason. I found out later that he immediately called his mom to see if 'this person was legit?' and 'who is she?' before he responded back.  It was through him that Sharon and I connected on Facebook and then met up in Osoyoos in May.  Anyway, it was quite a coincidence that we ended up camped next to each other in this campground. He tells me has told the story of me 'finding him' on twitter a number of times and how twitter can bring family together.
 
So we visited for quite awhile and he came back later with his wife Colleen for more conversation.  He is about Jeff's age. He spent quite a few years undercover in Regina and is now a Sargeant in the Medicine Hat crime unit. They are such a nice couple and I'm glad we had the chance to meet and visit.
 
That's about it for our Thanksgiving weekend and our fall camping. We will probably arrive home on Tuesday.  It looks like the sun just might break through and give us another great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile.