Saturday, November 14, 2009

Saturday lunch at Ely, Nevada

It was small town & rather crappy camping last night, but we picked up a brochure on the area and there are some interesting stories.

Rachel, just east of Ash Springs is the youngest town in Nevada and is the "UFO Capital of the World" (I do laugh at all these US labels!!) Anyway, that community on the "Extraterrestrial Hwy", (which also happens to be labelled such on my GPS, haha) is known as the center of UFO activity, has been featured in mags, books, TV etc. and has drawn Sci-Fi fans from across the world.

There is also a Nevada test site close by with warning signs for the inquisitive which they suggest you should take seriously!! There are also some nearby ghost towns that are "full of spirits of deceased cowboys".  I'm thinking Friday the 13th would have been an interesting day to tour these places!

Grapevine Canyon to the east of the campground was supposedly used by Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid as an escape route and it is rumored that $15,000 in gold & silver are buried in that area and has never been found.

It was a chilly night and we woke up to frost on the truck & RV. It's hard to believe that only a 435 km drive north can make such a difference in temperatures. I want to turn around and go back!! (I know, I'm probably not getting any sympathy other than maybe from Jim & Jan who are in shorts and soaking up the AZ sunshine!).

Our drive to Ely, NV was not the best. It was pretty windy and about 75 km from town we ran in to snow showers with visibility not the best. I wasn't expecting we'd see this weather quite so soon, although, the elevation at Ely is pretty high.

The snow stopped just out of Ely but DAMN it's COLD!! We stopped for lunch in a grocery lot and I was finally able to get internet from the nearby Hotel. Haven't decided if we'll spent the night here or drive further up the road?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile.